"A butterfly goes wherever it pleases, and pleases wherever it goes."

Sunday, April 8, 2007

My Travelmates

Today I learned that the volunteer team I'll be working with in Vietnam is a group of five total, all from the United States. Three of us, including myself, are teachers, and it's possible the other two are teachers as well, but I haven't yet contacted them. My last Earthwatch expedition had a total of nine volunteers, and only two of us were American citizens. Of this trip's group, two are from Colorado, one from Massachusetts, one from North Carolina, and then there's me from Washington State. The two from the east coast will likely be flying east to Hanoi, while I fly west. The two from Colorado could travel either way, but I am hoping that they will head west like myself, and that we'll even be on some of the flights together. That would make my 14+ hour layover in Seoul a bit more enjoyable. I'd love to explore Seoul but without speaking the language, alone, and with onlyhalf a day, this is a bit daunting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be fun to go to Soal and explore in Vietnam not able to speak there language.

Anonymous said...

I think you travel around, because this may be the only time your on that side of the world and so you deserve to make the best out of it!!!

Three Teachers--Jeff, Rachel and Beth

Three Teachers--Jeff, Rachel and Beth

Red and Yellow

Red and Yellow
This one is beautiful and also quite common

Rare Green Butterfly

Rare Green Butterfly
This one is drinking water from a waterfall we hiked to

Tam Dao Classroom

Tam Dao Classroom
Yes, this is an actual classroom being used

Rachel at a Classroom Teacher's Desk in Tam Dao Primary and Secondary School

Rachel at a Classroom Teacher's Desk in Tam Dao Primary and Secondary School
Yes, this is an actual teacher desk

Tam Dao was once a summer retreat for wealthy French families when France occupied Vietnam

Tam Dao was once a summer retreat for wealthy French families when France occupied Vietnam
This is what's left of one French villa--there were over 400 here at one time, but were destroyed by the Vietnamese people in the 1950s

Hanoi Time

Hanoi