"A butterfly goes wherever it pleases, and pleases wherever it goes."

Friday, May 11, 2007

I've Arrived--Day 1

My three plane flights were uneventful (my spelling students: what does, based upon the three morphographs, uneventful mean?).

I arrived last night and was given an upgraded room. The exchange rate currently is 16,004 Dong for 1 U.S. Dollar. I exchanged 200 dollars, so how much in Dong did I receive?

It is muggy here. Look that word up and share with your peers what that means. I now have curly hair. I'll take a photo of myself later and post it.

Today I'll take a bus ride out to Tam Dao National Park, where I'll spend my time working. I can't wait!

Thank you for all the comments. I really have enjoyed reading all of them. Keep posting and asking me questions. I do not plan on trying dog meat, so don't worry. I have seen a few dogs around, but they seem to be pets in good shape. I hope to see a cat or two as well. From my hotel room I can hear many different sounds, but my favorites are some tropical birds that I cannot see. I'll try to get more photos.
Please post an answer to at least one of my questions above. If you see some typos in this post it's because I'm using a different keyboard and my hand has gone to sleep.

Rachel

5 comments:

tobias said...

Hi mommy!

I miss you. The bike daddy borrowed is too big for me. What is your favorite thing about Vietnam?

Anonymous said...

Hi Tobias! My favorite thing so far is how warm it is and how friendly everyone is. I took a one hour bike pedaler tour around the city today. I didn't bike, a man named Vin biked me around as I sat in a seat in the front. I got to see all of old town. I miss you too, sweetie. Saw some pet kittens!

Love, Rachel

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel. Muggy means humid and speaking of humidity, Hanoi is 20% more humid than Spokane today according to Weatherunderground.com. I've been wondering do some species of butterflies live longer than others? Because Monarchs have to travel a long way, they must live longer than just a few weeks. By the way, what different types of food have you eaten so far in Vietnam? Do you have an interpreter with you, or have people been speaking English with you? Have fun! Can't wait to hear from you again! Case says "Hi" too.
Cade

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel, My mom and I just read this on the web: "Tam Dao is now considered home to the most diverse snake population on the planet. At the present time 108 different kinds of snakes or 4 percent of the world's 2,700 species have been found in the National Park." We thought you'd want to know this just in case they failed to tell you before you agreed to go! Watch your step! Cade

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel I just listened to you "practice gab cast" and it was so nice to hear your voice! The word uneventful means: not event full! It is so amazing to think your actually only feet from what has been taken in the pics! Yesterday at Friday assembly they talked about the P.E.T. project and thay showed a presintation of the people who had used them and it showed a lot of people from Veitnam! I'm telling you, you have to try the snake blood! (please)!
I miss you tons and tons,
Elizabeth
post soon!

Three Teachers--Jeff, Rachel and Beth

Three Teachers--Jeff, Rachel and Beth

Red and Yellow

Red and Yellow
This one is beautiful and also quite common

Rare Green Butterfly

Rare Green Butterfly
This one is drinking water from a waterfall we hiked to

Tam Dao Classroom

Tam Dao Classroom
Yes, this is an actual classroom being used

Rachel at a Classroom Teacher's Desk in Tam Dao Primary and Secondary School

Rachel at a Classroom Teacher's Desk in Tam Dao Primary and Secondary School
Yes, this is an actual teacher desk

Tam Dao was once a summer retreat for wealthy French families when France occupied Vietnam

Tam Dao was once a summer retreat for wealthy French families when France occupied Vietnam
This is what's left of one French villa--there were over 400 here at one time, but were destroyed by the Vietnamese people in the 1950s

Hanoi Time

Hanoi